Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Complete Protection for Your Home

For most of us, our most important and largest investment in life is the ability to own a home. Many people purchase a home and expect to retire in that home. We realize this since we, too, own our homes and purchase adequate insurance. While we would like to take care of everyone's insurance, that isn't always possible.

At Tri-Town Insurance, we take the time to analyze and customize a program to properly protect your investment, which inclines protecting your investment. This includes protecting the home from property damage and also protecting you, the homeowner, from being sued by another party in the event someone suffers some kind of bodily injury or property damage.

You want comprehensive coverage tailored to your individual home and possessions. We offer quality, basic coverage with many standard features, plus a full array of coverage options to enhance your protection.

Your homeowners policy protects:

  • Your home
  • Detached structures, such as a garage or shed.
  • Personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, appliances and much more.
  • Loss of use, for living expenses when the home is damaged and uninhabitable.
  • Personal liability, that protects you and your family against a claim or lawsuit if someone is injured or their property is damaged while at your home.

Unmatched selection of coverage options:

  • Contents replacement - Provides full replacement cost for personal belongings.
  • Additional replacement cost protection - Provides the extra insurance you need to rebuild your house if your coverage amount is inadequate.
  • Personal injury - Protects you against libel and slander.
  • Identity theft protection - Provides assistance from a consumer fraud specialist and covers expenses related to restoring your good name and financial reputation.
  • Valuable items plus endorsement - Provides a blanket of coverage that is broader than what a basic homeowners policy provides. It is the right coverage for people who own valuable possessions such as jewelry, artwork, cameras and computers.
  • Personal articles floater - Provides even more comprehensive coverage that the valuables items plus endorsement. It is the right coverage for people who wish to schedule items that have been carefully selected and whose values exceed the limits of either homeowners policy or valuable items plus endorsement.
  • Umbrella Policy. Offers an additional $1 million to $5 million of liability protection.
  • Flood coverage - Flood damage is typically not covered under a homeowners policy. This affordable coverage covers damage to your property and provides cleanup reimbursement.
  • Pleasure boat insurance for small watercrafts

Get maximum value with competitive pricing and money-saving discounts

  • Tri-Town provides competitively priced insurance options. We offer great value with many money-saving discounts:*
  • New or renovated home discount
  • Multi-policy discount when you insure both your auto and home with Tri-Town (available in most states)
  • Claim-free discount (available in most states)
  • Security discounts for homes equipped with:
  • Smoke detectors
  • Dead bolts
  • Fire extinguishers or alarm systems

Covered perils

A homeowners insurance policy provides protection from the following perils:

  • Fire or lightning
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Explosion
  • Aircraft
  • Vehicles
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Smoke
  • Theft
  • Vandalism/malicious mischief
  • Glass breakage
  • Volcanic eruption.

Some policies also provide coverage for:

  • Falling objects
  • Weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • Freezing of plumbing
  • Accidental plumbing discharge
  • Rupture of steam or hot water heating system, air conditioning systems, or water heaters
  • Damage from artificially generated electricity.


A homeowners policy does not provide coverage for the following perils:

  • Loss due to flood or water that backs up through sewers
  • Loss to building by earthquake, aftershocks and mud slides
  • Loss by enforcement law or ordinance regulating construction, repair or demolition, or zoning
  • Loss due to power interruption when the interruption takes place off the residence property
  • Loss due to neglect of the insured to save and preserve property following a loss
  • War and nuclear perils
  • Intentional loss

Limits of liability

For basic homeowners policies, a specific minimum amount of coverage is required for each of the major property coverages, based on the primary amount of insurance selected.

  • Coverage A (Dwelling) = Primary limit
  • Coverage B (Other Structures) = 10% of Coverage A limit
  • Coverage C (Personal Property) = 50% of Coverage A limit
  • Coverage D (Loss of use) = 20% of Coverage A limit.

Certain classes of property have specialized limits of coverage:

  • Money or related property, coins and precious metals other than tableware
  • Securities, manuscripts, and other valuable property
  • Water craft, including trailers and equipment
  • Trailers
  • Grave markers
  • Loss by theft of jewelry, watches, furs and semi-precious stones
  • Loss by theft of firearms
  • Loss by theft of silverware, goldware or pewterware
  • Property on the residence premises used for business purposes
  • Property away from residence premises used for business purposes.
There are several endorsements or separate policies that cover personal property items for higher limits of coverage. For example, Business Protection provides expanded protection for home office equipment and additional protection for home-based businesses (in some states). A Valuable Items policy may be needed to protect your jewelry, furs or other treasured possessions.

Homeowners Insurance 101

Protect what you worked so hard to get.

We offer coverage for your home, its contents, plus other valuable possessions. We also offer additional endorsements so you can customize your coverage to fit your needs.

To understand more about homeowners insurance and how it can help you, please review the following topics:

  • Some background information
  • Dwelling (a.k.a. Coverage A)
  • Other structures (a.k.a. Coverage B)
  • Personal property (a.k.a. Coverage C)
  • Loss of use (a.k.a. Coverage D)
  • Covered perils
  • Exclusions
  • Limits of liability
  • Deductibles
  • Optional coverages
  • Personal property exclusions and limits of coverage
  • Personal liability (a.k.a. Coverage E)
  • Medical payments (a.k.a. Coverage F)
  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage
  • Liability coverage exclusions
  • Umbrella or excess liability coverage

Some background information

Homeowners insurance is basically designed to bring your home and possessions back to the same condition they were in before a loss occurred. There are several different types of homeowners policies offered by a wide variety of insurance companies and not all coverage's are the same or are available in all states. You should speak directly with an agent about your specific coverage needs.

While reading through the information below, you should keep in mind a couple definitions: (a) Exclusions are situations where your policy does not provide coverage; and (b) Liability is something for which you are legally responsible.

Dwelling (referred to as Coverage A in the policy)

Imagine your house on moving day...empty, waiting to be filled. This is the part referred to as Coverage A: your physical home (rooms, fireplaces, tile floors, carpeting, etc.) and the structures attached to it, such as an attached garage.

The amount of coverage assigned to your dwelling should reflect the amount it would cost to completely repair or rebuild your home should it suffer a covered loss. Often this is determined by your home's purchase price plus inflation. However, if it's been a while since you last updated your policy coverage or if you are not sure that your dwelling is adequately covered, you can get help form your Tri-Town Agent.

Other structures (Coverage B)

Not all structures that exist on your property are actually attached to your house. Therefore, Coverage B offers insurance protection for other structures such as a detached garage, gazebo, or storage shed.

Your personal possessions such as furniture, clothing and appliances are covered. Certain types of possessions are excluded or have limited coverage. Please see personal property exclusions and limits of coverage for more specific information.

Loss of use (Coverage D)

The coverage is also called Additional Living Expense. Essentially, this pays for your housing and other living expenses (like meals and laundry) if a major loss makes your house uninhabitable and you have to move out temporarily while it's being repaired.

For example, if your home is insured for $100,000 under Coverage A:

  • Coverage B liability limit is $10,000
  • Coverage C is $50,000
  • Coverage D is $20,000.


With a homeowners policy, a deductible applies to the property portion of the policy. A deductible is the amount you would have to pay out of your own pocket before the insurance coverage kicks in. Typical deductibles are $250, $500, $1,000 or higher and some policies have several deductibles. The higher the deductible you select, the lower your premium payment.

Optional coverages

There are a number of optional coverages (also called endorsements) which enhance your basic homeowners policy either by adding or removing certain coverages. Some of the more common add-on coverages include:

Broadened coverage for contents - provides special protection for your possessions. This means that your personal property is covered in most situations, regardless of the cause of loss.

Contents replacement cost coverage - after a loss, you would be paid based on the replacement cost...with no deduction for depreciation...subject to your policy limits and deductible. Special limits apply to certain items such as jewelry, watches and furs.

Various Endorsements: provides higher limits and worldwide protection for special property such as jewelry, silverware, fine art, furs, cameras, firearms, musical instruments, and home computers for an extended variety of losses. Should you need even higher amounts of coverage than that offered by the policy form. Separate scheduled article coverage is available.

Personal property exclusions and limits of coverage

Certain classes of property are specifically excluded from coverage because of the nature of what they are or because they are generally covered by other types of policies:

  • Animals, birds or fish
  • Motorized vehicles or aircraft, including equipment and accessories
  • Radios, CB radios, tape decks, etc., while in or on a motor vehicle
  • Articles separately described and specifically insured in any other insurance
  • Property of boarders (renters insurance is available and should be considered by boarders).
  • Aircraft or aircraft parts
  • Property in an apartment held for rental by the insured
  • Property rented to others off the residential premises.

Personal liability (Coverage E)

Provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage for which you are legally responsible. For example, let's say your dog bites someone, a guest falls down your front stairs, or your son throws a ball through your neighbor's window. You are legally responsible for these actions. Personal Liability helps to cover the associated costs of these related damages.

Most homeowner policies provide a minimum of $100,000 of liability protection. However, you can opt to increase this amount. Also, Excess Liability Insurance 101 can help you determine whether the liability limits available on your homeowners policy are sufficient for your needs. Of course, an independent agent is your greatest resource for this evaluation.

Bodily injury

Accidents do happen ... and sometimes they happen to other people while at your home, or by a member of your household. This coverage helps to pay for the expenses created in the event that a physical injury to others is caused by you, residents of your household, or your pets.

Property damage

If someone's property is accidentally damaged by you, members of your household, or your pets, your homeowners policy will help to repair or replace it.

Liability coverage exclusions

A homeowners policy does not provide coverage for:

  • Bodily injury or property damage which is expected or intended by the insured
  • Bodily injury or property damage arising out of business pursuits
  • Bodily injury or property damage arising out of rental of any part of the premises
  • Liability arising out of ownership, maintenance, use, loading or unloading of aircraft, motor vehicles or water craft
  • Liability arising out of war or insurrection.

Additional exclusions to Coverage E only:

  • Liability assumed under contract or agreement
  • Property damage to property owned by, used by or in the care of the insured
  • Bodily injury which is covered under a workers compensation policy.

Umbrella or excess liability coverage

Umbrella or excess liability coverage provides liability coverage over and above what's covered by your auto, homeowners or other policy for personal liability and lawsuits. Such coverage can be purchased as an attachment to your policy or as a separate policy. Our Excess Liability Insurance 101 course provides much more information on this important protection. Or you can speak directly with an independent agent about your specific coverage needs.

Medical payments (Coverage F)

Pays all reasonable and necessary medical expenses for a period of three years from the date of an accident to a person or persons injured while on your property. This coverage does not apply to the insured or regular residents of the insured's household.